Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Interrogation

Ben started back to preschool today. Phoebe was particularly interested in Ben's school activites, as Ben is in the same preschool classroom Phoebe was in last year.

On our way home, Phoebe told him "Ben, I have a lot of questions for you", then proceeded to grill him for the next five minutes. Here is their conversation, more or less verbatim:

Phoebe: "Did you have a good day?"
Ben: "Yes."
Phoebe: "Are your teachers nice?"
Ben: "Yes."
Phoebe: "Was it anyone's birthday?"
Ben: "No."
Phoebe: "What did you have for snack?"
Ben: "Pretzels."
Phoebe: "Did you make any new friends?"
Ben: "Yes."
Phoebe: "What were their names?"
Ben: "I don't remember."
Phoebe: "Did you make a project?"
Ben: "What, are you kidding? Of course I did!" (holds up drawing)
Phoebe: "Do you know your teachers names?"
Ben: "Only one - Miss Micki."
Phoebe: "Miss Micki and Miss Lisa. I know because I was in your class last year."

The cross-examination was finished by the time we got home. I have to hand it to her, Phoebe got about as much information out of Ben than I've ever been able to get out of any of the kids when asking about school.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is that about NOT being able to get info out of kids about school?!?! It's like they are trained in secret not to mention anything other than what they had to eat, whether they had gym or not and what cool toy some other kid brought to school (that they shouldn't have) and now how impossibly important it is for them to get the same thing for their birthday or Christmas - whichever is closer. But what about class? social issues, hopes, dreams, realizations about career paths? Nah, all we get was "school was fine" and an occasional "school was good". I guess it's good on the days the toy some other kid brought was especially expensive.

Anonymous said...

That's adorable!

Scott said...

Yeah, I was reading those questions and taking notes so I'd know what to ask my son when I pick him up today. All I ever get was "Pretty good" or "I don't know."