Thursday, April 17, 2008

Freeloaders

I arrived home from work today to news that we have freeloaders living in our back yard. Much like the robins that took up residence over our outdoor floodlights last spring, three baby bunnies have made the Houserspawn(tm) back yard their home.

The kids seem pretty unfazed by our new little friends, but the news put me in Bunny Defense Mode. Almost immediately after Linda told me about the rabbits, I felt this impulse to protect these vulnerable little animals like some kind of surrogate parent.

I found myself imploring Linda not to let the neighborhood kids know about the bunnies, for fear that one of the kids might inadvertantly harm them. And checking out the window periodically to make sure they're safe. And worrying about the cats that roam the neighborhood. And fighting the compulsion even now to go outside and double check that the gate to the back yard is latched.

I am struck by just how deep this primal monkey instinct is imbedded in humanity. Must protect small, defenseless things. I am entirely invested in the well being of these rabbits that I didn't even know existed a few hours ago.

2 comments:

JWD said...

Very, very good! Especially as I'm reading Watership Down at the moment.

We are Houserspawn(tm). said...

Epilogue

Two of the three bunnies were gone the morning after I wrote this post, and the last one left the nest by the following evening.

They didn't leave a note, they haven't called, nothing.

The ingrates!