Monday, March 31, 2008

Outward Bound

As part of our ongoing effort to get the kids to play outdoors more, I put up a basketball hoop over the weekend. (I suppose that our attempts at getting the kids involved in various athletic endeavors are becoming a recurring theme on the Houserspawn(tm) blog -- I probably need to come up with a new label for this.)

Unfortunately, the construction of the hoop had no immediate effect on Zach or Phoebe. Zach came down with a fever, and spent most of yesterday afternoon sleeping. And Phoebe promptly claimed the oversized cardboard box that the hoop came in, dragged it into the house, and used scissors and crayons to make it into a makeshift "pet shop" for some of her figurines.

Ben came up big, though, and shot some hoops with me. And once Ben was done, the 8-year-old neighbor from across the street came over and challenged me to a game of one-on-one. (I crushed him).

Conclusion: Despite our best efforts, we may not be raising the most athletically inclined kids ever.

No comments: